Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the goal of the Beginning Experience® ministry?
A: Beginning Experience programs help those grieving a significant loss deal with the natural grief process and provide an opportunity for turning the pain of loss into an experience of positive growth. Rooted in the Catholic tradition, the ministry serves those of all faith backgrounds.
Q: Who should attend a program?
A: The Beginning Experience ministry offers a continuum of programs for persons whose marriages have ended due to death, divorce or permanent separation.
- Our Coping with Life Alone–In the Beginning® is a one day program which will focus on topics such as the grief process, changes in family and relationships, trust, and coping with memories of your deceased spouse or dealing with your ex-spouse. The program will be led by a team of men and women who have also suffered the loss of their marriages and are willing to share their experiences to help others. Team members lead participants through a series of presentations followed by personal private reflection and small group interaction.
- The Beginning Experience Weekend is intended for persons who are beyond the initial feelings of anger and despair, which often follow the loss of a loved one. Persons attending the weekend should be at the point of wanting a new beginning in life and ready to work to make that desire a reality. Once the application for the weekend is received, someone from the local program will help each applicant determine his or her readiness for the program.
Q: What happens during a Beginning Experience program?
A: Beginning Experience programs are presented by a team of people who have themselves suffered the loss of a loved one, and are willing to share their own experience to help others.
Team members lead participants through a program of presentations, personal private reflection, and small group sharing. A sense of community develops in an atmosphere of care and concern that is a hallmark of each Beginning Experience program.
Q: What is the foundation of Beginning Experience programs?
A: The programs are structured around an invitational process which offers the opportunity to move through grief toward a new beginning in life.
Developed by respected professionals in grief psychology, ministry, education and organizational process, the programs are intended for peer presentation, and are both psychologically and spiritually sound.
The ministry has been honored by the North American Conference of Separated and Divorced Catholics and the National Association of Catholic Family Life Ministers. Ministry representatives have been invited to participate in the International Conference for the World Federation for Mental Health in Ireland, and to address the Australian government’s Year of the Family Congress.
To ensure the integrity of the copyrighted programs, the Beginning Experience International Ministry, Inc. periodically certifies the peer ministry teams worldwide to present the programs.
Q: What are the results of attending a program?
A: Those who have participated in Beginning Experience programs report:
- Increased emotional health and self-respect
- New skills to deal with the pain of loss
- Healthier family relationships
- Renewed energy to be more effective parents, return to or become more involved in their church, and improve the standard of living for themselves and their families.
Q: What is the cost?
A: The cost of each program varies with the location. Since this is a nonprofit organization, the costs are kept as low as possible, but fees must cover offering the program, program materials and, for the weekend program, the cost of meals and accommodations. All proceeds are invested in furthering the mission of the ministry.
The current cost of participating in Coping with Life Alone–In the Beginning is $20 for the one day session which includes lunch and all materials.
The current cost of participating in a Pittsburgh Beginning Experience Weekend is $175, which includes housing, meals, and all materials. Payment arrangements and possible financial assistance are available.
Q: Where can I get more information?
A: Submit a request for more information by following this link to our Contact page.